CEF offers a dynamic and collaborative work environment, in which all members of the staff work together to build the excitement and value of chemistry and STEM careers with K-8 students through accessible science programs and hands-on experiences.
We are located right outside of Washington, DC, in Arlington, VA, and offer employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health care and dental benefits, paid vacation, a 401(k) and pension plan, and a tuition-reimbursement program.
Current Job Opening
The Communications Manager is fully responsible for setting and guiding CEF’s strategy for all communications, marketing and public relations collateral to advance the organization’s mission, build brand recognition, provide program support and reach new audiences including participants, volunteers, opinion leaders and donors.
To succeed, you will have a positive and can-do attitude, a perspective on the diverse communication needs of nonprofit organizations and understanding of donors relations and donor development.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do:
The Communication Manager’s work will be multi-faceted in partnership with the Directors of Development and Programs. He or she will lead all CEF’s communications efforts working at all levels of the organization to achieve organizational program and revenue goals.
- You’re a born leader: Lead and build consensus with other team members to develop the appropriate project plans and marketing collateral for program and fund development activities.
- You’re a strategy guru: You will have the opportunity to design and customize an innovative strategic communications and marketing plan, leveraging technology and other outside resources to bring the mission of the organization to life for all our stakeholders.
- You’re a connector: Partner with our stakeholders to leverage opportunities for communicating our mission; using strong cross-functional management skills.
- You’re a story teller: Support fund development and thought leadership efforts by creatively illustrating the outcomes and impacts on students and teachers that participate in our programs.
- You’re a change maker: Passion for innovating, entrepreneurial spirit, demonstrate willingness to challenge the status quo, contribute to the building of the new vision for the organization.
- You’re a culture & change champion: Act as point of contact for daily communications delivering a fully functional program; Share best practices and assist staff members in using communications and marketing tools.
Specific Innovation Center Skills and Duties:
- Must display organization, efficiency, self-management and administrative skills. Good attention to detail is a must.
- Excellent, proven writing, editing (photo/video/copy), presentation and communication skills, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual communications and marketing plan across the network’s discreet audiences in collaboration with the staff and stakeholders
- At the forefront of digital trends. Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities. Strong working knowledge of email and social media tools to support brand and opinion leader awareness, program delivery and revenue generation efforts, including the use of analytical tools to maximize impact.
- Lead all content development generation that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where and when to disseminate.
- Manage and review website for accuracy and necessary updates; Post new items, track website traffic and prepare monthly analysis to maximize impact.
- Develop and coordinate distribution through internal and external channels news releases, program summaries, fact sheets, blog posts, etc.
- Prepare top quality presentation material, speeches and grant proposals. Prepare meeting notices, agendas and supporting material for Board of Trustees and committee meetings.
- Manage shared drive for all communication and marketing material so that staff have access to the most up-to-date documents for program outreach and fundraising efforts
- Assist in planning and organizing events. Occasional travel required.
What You Will Need To Succeed:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in communications or marketing.
- Prior professional experience in a communications, marketing or member/donor relations role with education or industry nonprofit experience preferred covering areas such as program and donor communications.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies at both the strategic and tactical levels. Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants and other supporters.
- Ability to take a teamwork approach to the position by building consensus and cooperating with others, offering to help colleagues when needed and considering organizational or team goals rather than individual concerns. Includes the ability to build constructive team spirit where colleagues are committed to organizational goals.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Motivated by challenging the status quo and passion for continuous improvement. Self-starter, able to work independently and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Experience managing third party contracts, employees and stakeholder relationships.
Supervision The Communications Manager is supervised by the Executive Director and works in strong partnership with the Directors of Development and Programs. Application Located in Arlington, VA near Metro offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits. Resume, cover letter, salary history & salary requirements and three (3) relevant writing samples must be submitted to be considered. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.